Welcome to Ashton Park
Ashton Park is an attractive Victorian/Edwardian park situated close to West Kirby town centre and to the Wirral Way which runs through the park and bisects the Upper and Lower Parks. The park is open all hours for use and is a well-used facility with an estimated 10,000 people of all ages using it every week. Users are drawn from all over Wirral as well as the immediate locality and are attracted by the range of facilities and the attractiveness of the park. The park was developed between 1899 and 1906 through the good will of Miss E M Ashton who loaned the land. After her death in 1935 the park passed into public ownership.
Facilities and features of the park include:-
- Extensive shrubberies.
- Rose and other planted beds.
- Large variety of trees.
- Attractive stone gateposts and decorative metal gates.
- Lake with island, wildfowl and fountain.
- Large children’s playground for all ages.
- Multi-use games area (football and basketball).
- Football field.
- Tennis courts.
- Two bowling greens- there is at least one men's bowling club and a ladies bowling club.
- Teashop (limited opening)
- Toilets (limited opening).
- Boules pitch.
- Junior orienteering course
- Tree trail
- Planet trail.
Metropolitan Borough of Wirral ,who employ gardeners on site,own and maintain the Park . The Friends of Ashton Park ,who administer this web site, work in partnership with the Borough and many improvements have been made. This has resulted in the award of Green Flag status for 2004/5 from the Civic Trust and for its re-award in every year since then.
Location Map of Ashton Park
If you wish to travel by train the park is easily accessible by Merseyrail Liverpool to West Kirby line and is only 5 - 10 minutes walk from West Kirby station. Many bus services also stop adjacent to the station.
Page Updated 6 March 2014